Data Journalist - Contract
Blockbeat is hiring experienced data journalists to help readers understand the business, government, life and culture of our readers’ towns and neighborhoods. These journalists will identify, explore and analyze datasets, and write stories that can be customized to each reader’s location based on these data.
- 2-3+ years of experience writing compelling stories based on your own analyses of data gathered from government offices, non-profits, private entities, publicly available sources, and others. The ideal candidate is well-versed and familiar with the range of potential data sources.
- Fluent in the use of spreadsheet tools (e.g. excel, google sheets) to analyze, summarize, and build graphs from these datasets. The ideal candidate also has experience with data manipulation and analysis tools like SQL, pandas, and R.
- A passion for discovering new data sources and the insights they provide, and an understanding that data can’t always be taken at face-value.
- Experience working in a lean/start-up environment is a plus; we have a small but dedicated team and move with a high degree of autonomy, which allows us to move faster than most.
- Excellent self-management skills; you don’t want to be micromanaged and your references would describe you as a “self-starter”. You’re always looking for opportunities to add value, and want to be at a place that values your judgment.
We also value technical experience with:
- Coding / software development
- Designing data visualizations
- Geospatial tools for manipulating shapefile data (e.g. ArcGIS)
We know there are great candidates who won't fit everything we've described above, or who have important skills we haven't thought of. When in doubt, apply, and tell us more in your cover letter.APPLY
Blockbeat is a project by The San Francisco Standard.